Hey! I am so glad you stopped by to check out my recent bakes. My name is Kelsey. I have dedicated 2021 to baking from my favorite baking publication – Bake from Scratch. Each quarter is dedicated to one main category of baking: cakes, breads, pies/pastries, cookies/miscellaneous. I am so excited to learn how to master (or try to master) each of these. Follow me along on my journey!
The original recipe is from the Bake from Scratch Vol. 1 book, however, I cut this recipe in half to make one loaf instead of two. The recipe below is the recipe after I halved it, if you would like the full recipe, click the button to go to the Bake from Scratch website.
I have to say, though this looks so pretty, it was slightly dry. I definitely baked it longer thanI should have. I checked it with a toothpick several times and they all had crumbs. They were dry crumbs which meant I should have taken it out the first time! I believe I over-baked it about 5-10 minutes which really changes the texture of the whole loaf.
The combination of thyme, lemon and poppyseed was surprisingly yummy! I would never have thought to add thyme to the famous lemon-poppy seed combo. Though I didn’t taste much thyme in the loaf, it did add a depth of flavor you sometimes miss.
Next time I make this loaf, I would definitely bake it a significantly shorter time and add more thyme. Overall, its definitely worth a try because of how fun, pretty and different it is! If you love the lemon and poppy seed flavor combo, you will love this!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare a loaf pan with baking spray and flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add poppyseeds and thyme until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- In medium bowl, sift flour, salt and baking powder.
- In separate bowl, mix buttermilk, lemon juice, zest and vanilla.
- Add wet and dry ingredients into butter mixture, alternating between wet and dry (begin and end with dry).
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes then cover with tin foil and bake 30-45 minutes more.
- Until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes then take our of loaf pan and let cool completely on a baking rack.
For the Glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine ingredients in small bowl, whisk until smooth.
- Pour on cooled loaf.
- Garnish with lemon slices and thyme sprigs.
The gallery below shows step-by-step photos of my baking process.
Shop the products I mentioned and love!
Right click to download these recipe cards!